Re: Erik Funkenbusch - scumbag

Handover Phist <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone else notice that funkenbusch.com went offline? Was that the
> moment the post was made or earlier? All you get now is the default
> Apache page. I wonder if it's hosted on a linux box?

A cynical mind might assume it is because he knows he has a few
copyright infringing images on it and needs to hide it while he
scrubs it of any hypocrisy.  A vindictive mind might even go into
google cache and dig up the evidence.  Personally, I don't plan
to sink to that level and think it a waste of time anyway.

As for Roy's alleged transgression, we need to consider scale
and intent before passing any moral judgment.  It is not as if he
is claiming the work as his own; he clearly credits the original
author.  The original author might even benefit from some additional
exposer.  It might be copyright infringement in the strictest sense
(though sometimes you can make a fair use argument if it is part of
a larger body of work), and if the author tells him to remove it,
he probably should; but this is hardly a hanging offense.  In short,
cut Roy some slack, let him and the original author sort this out
on their own.  If you want to criticize his posts in COLA, then
do so, but keep the personal attacks out of it.  It only makes you
look bad.

Thad