Re: [News] Apache catches-up with IIS

  • Subject: Re: [News] Apache catches-up with IIS
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:00:02 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, OK
<otto@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 09 Jun 2006 19:20:47 +0200
<cfbj825l24la1kgo4p6a6tp2m15t87q181@xxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:00:06 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
> <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote
>>on Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:31:55 +0100
>><1597904.Q8vP89Z7co@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> (and standards-based Web browser support the feature)
>>>
>>> How To Save Traffic With Apache2's mod_deflate
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                         http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_mod_deflate
>>
>>It is interesting to contemplate the tradeoffs.  I would presume that
>>mod_deflate consumes CPU at the server side (and, to a lesser extent,
>>the client side), to trade off bandwidth, which can be expressed as
>>power consumption throughout the world as the packets wend their way
>>through various routers.
>>
>>Neat. :-)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/compression/default.mspx

Hmmm...what is this link?  Did Port80 get in bed with Microsoft and
produce several children? :-)  In any event, the zip archive format
supports several compression algorithms, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, the reduction in Microsoft's case appears to be 30%-50%; Apache
suggests a reduction to 16% of its original size (which means a
compression of 84%).

Another small piece of the puzzle when selecting a system for initial
deployment, or deciding to migrate.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.