Re: The Open Source Push in Requires IT Manager Awareness

  • Subject: Re: The Open Source Push in Requires IT Manager Awareness
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Jun 2006 12:12:32 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Stephen Fairchild wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > Brainstorming ways to push open source
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | Having the latest computer technology is great. But what e-government
> > | users from the public sector as well as citizens really want is
> > | software interoperability. Unfortunately IT managers still only pay
> > | lip service to such interoperability, concludes a European project
> > | assessing today's open-source movement.
> > `----
> >

> <http://istresults.cordis.lu/index.cfm/section/news/tpl/article/ID/82321/BrowsingType/Features>
>
> Same old claptrap repeated decade after decade.  The women will take part
> when there is a steady living to be made and most of the groundwork has
> been done by the spotty geeks.
>
> The following things got the female dominated media in a panic after years
> of pisstaking at the geeks that were the early adopters.  Mp3 players,
> computing in general, computer games, mobile phones, driving of cars.  All
> these things could now be called female dominated or gender neutral if you
> actually looked at the statistics,

Perhaps you ought to take a look at the statistics then. Lawrence
Summers, president of Harvard, mentioned this in January and ended up
losing his job over this. According to the National Bureau for Economic
Research women only constitute about 20% of science and engineering
positions. At the senior level, it's even less.

Hardly accurate to call this "female cominated" or even "gender
neutral."