Re: Microsoft Manipulates Netscraft Figures

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 09 Jun 2006 06:53:03 +0100
<3380827.HDKZoB42yt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ asj ] on Friday 09 June 2006 06:32 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Where, oh where have all the Apache servers gone?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3407542187.html
>>>

>> this pretty much sums it up:
>>
>> "However, after considering those millions of idle parked domains, this
>> move strikes me as more pathetic than convincing."
>
> More pathetic is the attempt to massage that figure. All these millions of
> parked domain could be managed in a single server room, or even by a small
> cluster/rack. Someone could accommodate Gates' private garage with the
> needed server space, alongside his set of golf clubs.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

I'll admit to some curiosity as to whether those parked domains could be
managed by a single *server*.  Last I looked they were little more than
a hook into some sort of weird search engine.

In any event, this probably explains most of the increase.  But my,
doesn't it look impressive to the uninitiated! :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.