Re: [News] KDE Makes Previews of KDE 4 and KOffice 2 Available

Kier wrote in <pan.2006.06.10.10.19.03.874315@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Sat, June 10
2006 06:19:

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:44:32 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> KDE team offers glimpses of KDE 4.0, KOffice 2.0
>>>

>> Why, I wonder do the KDE team waste their valuable time on KOffice when
>> there is the hugely functional Open Office available?
>
> That's rather a daft question, wouldn't you say? Because, presumably, they
> want an integrated office suite for KDE. I personally like OO.org, and
> reports of the most recent KOffice have been less than stellar, but that
> doesn't mean it has no merit, and should just be abandoned.
>
> It's all about choice, and offering alternatives.

Assuming that they get all the features working like they are saying they
will, I would be happy to use KWord, KSpread, etc. over OpenOffice.org or
StarOffice, assuming that I have some sort of speed or overhead decrease in
using it.  I will wholeheartedly admit that using StarOffice, while it is
better then OpenOffice.org in some areas, still "feels" bulky.  Hopefully,
either that will be fixed, or other really good alternatives will be around
soon that will make things easy to deal with, _and_ keep interoperability
as a major goal.

        - Mike

--
Registered Linux User #417338, machine #325045.

Bad FAT? My hard disk has high cholesterol?