Re: The NSA Makes Its Own Linux Contributions Available for Free

  • Subject: Re: The NSA Makes Its Own Linux Contributions Available for Free
  • From: "Da'Punk-A" <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Jun 2006 09:08:53 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Black Dragon wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > __/ [ Black Dragon ] on Friday 09 June 2006 12:11 \__

> >> NSA? Contribute to Linux?
>
> >> How many back doors (to help fight the war on terrorism of course) do you
> >> want in your OS today?
>
> > that  leave  back doors and conceal these. The argument you make is  often
> > attributed to Chinese distributions, as part of FUD campaigns (e.g. be the
> > victim of Chinese hackers or Ballmer's "are you going to trust some guy in
> > China?", which at the same time associated Linux with communism).
>
> I didn't make an argument, I made a statement. <sigh>
>
> Being an American citizen who happens to be extremely disgusted about the
> erosion of my privacy rights over the last 5 years all in the name of
> some imaginary war on terrorism by the dumbest President in the history
> of this great country, EXCUSE ME for being concerned about an organization
> that got caught doing illegal wire taping also contributing to open source
> software. Before you know it, the NSA will be lobbying for legislation
> requiring back doors on all computers connected to the Internet in the US.
> Oh wait, they already have, yesterday a US court backed a bill for
> government broadband wiretap access. It's only a matter of time. Feh.

I'm not an American.  I /am/ a Linux enthusiast.  I am also someone
who's very suspicious of the present US Administration, along with my
own (UK) government.  They have both been involved in extremely shady
doings, in the "war against terrorism".

I have no reason to trust the NSA.  But I do believe they'd be insane
to try and sneak back-doors into open sourced code.  Of course, they
may be insane.  But I also think a lot of people involved in the FOSS
movement mistrust the NSA too, and they will subject these
contributions to /very/ close scrutiny.  The FOSS movement is made up
of people from all round the world, with all kinds of political views.
I don't think the NSA would try, I do not believe they could succeed.

I'm not sure if I'm thought of as a "COLA nut"... probably I am.  But
hell, some things are beyond that.