Re: Xubuntu Reviewed, Thumbs are Up

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/06/meet_the_newest_member_of_the.html

> Good to read that xubuntu's okay (ie bug-free) as that's the flavor of
> Ubuntu I'll be using when my CDs arrive.  I'll install the "server"
> version of Ubuntu, then use Synaptic to put xubuntu-desktop on it.
>
> Bit curious though as to why the reviewer called xubuntu "new".  I'm
> currently using xubuntu now.  It was regular Ubuntu, but I found Gnome
> too sluggish on my box.  So I installed xubuntu-desktop onto it, and
> runs nice and fast now.
>
> I also prefer xfce's minimalism to Gnome - never been a fan of eye
> candy.
>
> I'm using the previous version of xfce so I haven't tried thunar yet.

xubuntu is so called because it is a Ubuntu sibling in it's own right in the
same way kubuntu is. New probable because it has only become a fully
fledged sibling recent, not exactly sure when.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home