Re: [News] Linux Comes Closer to Mac Users

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:38:16 +0100
<1547036.CZBQnvWua2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Just another perspective on last month's news...
>
> Tutorial: Triple-boot Win XP, Linux and OS X on an Intel Mac
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The MacBook Pro runs Linux surprisingly well, given that it has only
> | been available for a couple of months. Having a lot of Intel hardware
> | in there helps -- basic chipset features like USB and SATA are well
> | supported, as is the Core Duo CPU and its Enhanced SpeedStep for
> | frequency control. Networking is also supported, using the sky2 driver
> | in recent kernels for the Marvell Ethernet chip, and the third-party
> | Madwifi drivers (www.madwifi.org) for the Atheros 802.11a/b/g chip.
> | There's even accelerated 2D/3D support for the Radeon Mobility X1600
> | video chip using ATI's latest drivers.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The real show-stopper is in installation. You can boot your favourite
> | Linux install CD easily enough using Boot Camp (just hold down option and
> | alt at boot), but creating a bootable Linux install is no easy task,
> | particularly if you want to triple-boot with XP.
> `----
>
>         http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=1392

OK, somebody's got to say it: why not go 4-on-the-floor?  Put
FreeBSD on there as well... :-)

It appears that they're leveraging the WinXP boot loader, which makes
part of this an interesting exercise for non-Intel Mac users.
Basically, if one does the following:

# mkfs.<favorite> /dev/hdax
(replace x with the partition one wants to put Linux on)
# mkdir /mnt/windows
# mount -t vfat /dev/hday /mnt/windows
(replace y with the Windows partition)
# dd if=/dev/hdax of=/mnt/windows/linux.mbr bs=512 count=1
# vi /mnt/windows/boot.ini

and add the line somewhere:

C:\linux.mbr="Linux System"

# umount /mnt/windows

then ta-dah!...Windows can boot Linux.  Personally, I prefer GRUB,
but this might be less disruptive.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.