Re: [News] Ten Things That Linux Beginners 'Unlearn'

Jamie Hart wrote:
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>> On average, though, Windows or Mac apps are fare more descriptive
>> in their names.  Photoshop, Greet Card Creator, EZ CD Creator,
>> Hallmark Card Studio, Corel Draw, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes,
>> Keynote, DVD Studio, SoundForge, Norton Antivirus, TurboTax, and
>> the list goes on and on.

Company names become irrelevant when there *is no* company. AFAIAC
it's all just "GNU". If I want to know who the developers are, I'll
read the docs. The entries on the gnome menu look plenty descriptive
to me: "VNC Viewer", "Firefox Web Browser", "Thunderbird Email" ...

> While that is true for the most part, what really get to me is the
> way a lot of windows software tries to create start menu icons
> within a company folder.

Yeah, you go to all the bother of cleaning up the start menu, getting
it nicely organised into proper categories, (rather than the
meaningless and egotistical structure of company names), only to have
it all b0rked up again the next time you install anything. Sometimes
the installer might be kind enough to even give you a *choice* about
*where* in the start menu you want their company name (which is very
nice of them, I'm sure), but mostly not, and even on the rare occasion
you do get a choice, there's rarely a "browser" to the start menu
entry, you have to figure it out yourself, and type it in manually.

--
K.