Re: |NEWS] The 15 Best Firefox Extensions for Collaboration

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Tuesday 20 June 2006 03:00 \__

> http://www.networkingpipeline.com/189500613?rssfeed_pl_ntp
>
>    Who says Firefox is only about Web browsing? Plenty of extensions
>    exist for letting you share files, chat with one another, meet new
>    people, and call them, all without leaving Firefox. Yet without a
>    single page for collaboration or social networking on Mozilla's
>    extension page, finding those extensions isn't easy.

I think that Mozilla applications are slowly becoming an 'O/S', much like
emacs (to borrow some popular sarcasm). Their appeal for developers through
hype, exposure, as well as being extensions-friendly (hooks and the like)
make them able to extend enormously, by a community. Some examples from
Firefox: P2P, VoIP, games, FTP client, and mouse gestures. Thunderbird is no
exception as many extensions are released for both applications in parallel.
I syndicate new releases from both, so it's rather apparent. They are a
plotform that 'absorbs' a lot of Java components. I won't be surprised if
spreadsheets and word processing software will soon be hanging off the ends
of Firefox. And with Google's Sync extensions, portability (of data) and
inter-operability will become a snap, possibly at the expense of Web
services (unless these are ultimately integrated).

>    All totaled we uncovered 15 extensions that fell into five
>    functional groups. Telephony clients let users call, and often IM,
>    one another. Social searching and bookmarking extensions use social
>    recommendations to help searchers locate Web sites of interest.
>    Cobrowsing coextensions turn Firefox into a tandem browser, and chat
>    extensions let users text-message other users on a Web site.
>
> I can't recall running into anything that makes IE useful. /NECESSARY/
> yes. But not useful.

Firefox will flourish primarily because of its developers -- those who
contribute plug-ins. Once you use more and more of them, you become hooked.
Your dependency on plug-ins that even Opera and IE cannot replace will make
Firefox the one and only browser. And why? Because it's Open Source. And
it's community-driven, i.e. people use it to serve themselves. Users know
best what is needed and they don't depend on the ego of closed-source
developer to have these implemented, if time and capacity (e.g. testing)
even permits that. IE7 will never pull that off...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  3:00am  up 53 days  8:14,  13 users,  load average: 1.25, 1.16, 1.26