Re: Novell Announces Executive Departure

  • Subject: Re: Novell Announces Executive Departure
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Jun 2006 07:02:33 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Friday 16 June 2006 09:01 \__
>
> > "Larry Qualig" wrote:
> >
> >> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060615/sfth040.html?.v=62
> >>
> >> <quote>
> >> WALTHAM, Mass., June 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Novell
> >> (Nasdaq: NOVL - News) today announced that William M.
> >> Hewitt has resigned, for personal reasons, his position as
> >> president of Novell Asia-Pacific. Hewitt was appointed to
> >> the position in March 2006, after serving as Novell's chief
> >> marketing officer since February 2005. </quote>
> >>
> >> I'm not trying to beat on Novell but this news is certainly
> >> more "Linux related" than many of the other topics. What I
> >> find interesting is that he has only had this job for 3
> >> months.
> >
> > He cites personal reasons, so we have no clue.  However, he
> > spent only 13 months in his previous position, which is really
> > short.  What position did he serve in prior to chief marketing
> > officer?
>
> If I recall correctly (not seen the article above), he was appointed to serve
> in his current role only 4 months ago. In February, to be precise...
>
> He was marketing officer since 2005, which is a point where Novell were
> already deep in the Linux business.

---> About 3 more executives left Novell at the beginning of the year,
but they (at least some of them) left to join smaller Linux vendors.

One of the former Novell execs that left was Joe Forgione (former VP of
Global Solutions). He was one of about a dozen execs that Novell had
listed on their web site under corporate management where they
displayed his picture, his bio and all that stuff. I know him through a
mutual friend and we often play in the same four-some in golf events
that raise funds for various groups and charities.

The last time I saw him I congratulated him on his new position and
that was basically it. I didn't ask about why he left Novell but his
brief comments left me to believe that he saw more opportunity at the
new startup and as CEO of the startup he would have more direct control
over day-to-day operations. Once again... it's just my speculation.