Re: [NEWS] Gates to give up daily role at Microsoft

__/ [ Donn Miller ] on Friday 16 June 2006 13:10 \__

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MICROSOFT?SITE=AZTUS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

> Looks like MS is being reduced.  Look for companies like Sun and Apple
> to start to hit their stride.  Sun, while they produce proprietary
> software, still has some software "on the bubble" between open and
> closed source with the release of Open Solaris.  Java has source
> available, but isn't open source in the sense Linux is.  So neither
> qualify as open source, although both have source available.  Sun also
> has spear-headed Open Office (formerly Star Office).  And Sun still has
> some very good developer tools available (compilers, etc.).  I've heard
> good things about Sun compilers.
>
> MS offers developer services at a very "premium" cost... ever check out
> the prices for MSDN memberships?  Prices for MS Developer Studio?  Looks
> like in two years, somewhere MS will start to transition to open source.
>   The only open source project MS has is SFU.  Not a very significant
> contribution to OSS.  And Cygwin is worlds better.  The only barrier to
> open source for MS is the huge amounts of 3rd-party code that are in MS'
> products.

Well, with Allchin and Gates soon out of the house (as well as Allen, but it
goes back decades), the generation of founders and principal engineers will
soon be left behind. Only ballmer will be able to manage that forbidden
palace of ever-defecting engineers and executives, who have long ago left
(or are yet to leave) to find greener lawns.

And speaking of Ballmer, judging by the famous 'monkey dance' scene, the
chair-flinging guy must be socially retarded. I see why he got Chair, but
not Executive Officer. He ought to be finding a pair of pliers to pluck
nails out of his mind. The man is demented and even the most vicious
monopoly, with all the lockins deployed in 90% of the world's desktop
computers, cannot leave the fortness in charge forever. Get your tu-tu on.
The king has just been overthrown. You know what it symbolises in a game of
Chess. It is a once-in-a-lifetime milestone when a self-admitted workaholic
retires (perdon his needed excuses).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
  1:20pm  up 49 days 18:34,  11 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.47, 0.65