Re: [News] Ubuntu Upgrade Effortless, Say Users

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Users report Ubuntu Upgrade effortless
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "I am impressed. Everything seems to work..."
> |
> | Another reports, "The upgrades worked like a charm on both my desktop
> | Dell and my Dell Latitude D610 laptop."
> |
> | In a slightly older post, Mongoose states, "So far I'm really impressed
> | with [kubuntu] and would recommend anyone to give it a go whether you've
> | used Linux before and are pondering a new distro, or if you're thinking
> | of giving it a shot for the first time."
> `----

There is a saying, "Anyone can captain a ship in calm waters," so goes OS
upgrading and installation. My experience with 6.06 Dapper Drake was
disastrous.

I eventually had to reinstall Breezy Badger.

The Linux kernel has a long standing difficulty scanning IDE controllers and
getting the wrong order. The Breezy to Dapper transition changed the order
on my system.

Also, I had two video cards, one PCI and One APG, they were setup using
Xinerama. Breezy worked fine, but Dapper crashed. I eventually went out and
got an nVidia GeForce dual head card but I should not have had too.

When all is said and done, it just didn't work out. The IDE problem was
known to the developers prior to the release of Dapper which bugs me the
most. In my eyes, it is a show stopper, but they didn't see it as a
problem. Now, if you look at the ubuntu forums, a good number of the posts
are some derivation of that problem.