Re: Sony Say PlayStation 3 Will Replace PC

flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:57:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> I think that Sony are delusional on this one as well. To me, it seems
>> more rational for TV and entertainment to be replaced by the PC, rather
>> than the other way around. The two will not survive in isolation for much
>> longer. They will somehow meet 'half way', so you won't be able to tell
>> which killed the other. TV's become more like computers (satellite,
>> on-demand programs and games) and computers are used to play films
>> 'natively' (e.g. DVD) or on-demand (e.g. Google Video, YouTube).
>>
>> Roy
>
> That's because your head is buried in your ass, oh excuse me, academia...
>
> Same thing...........
>
> Do you even have a clue that the processor in the PS3 is a CELL PROCESSOR
> ??
>
> Of course you don't..
>
> Do you realize that the bus requirements, pre-fetch etc are 10 years ahead
> of what we have now?
>
> Do you even have a clue as to the scalability of the processor?
>
> Of course you don't....
>

> You are so fucking zombified by Linux you can't see the potential for
> anything but Linux......
>
> Wake up...
> This is great technology, brought to you by the folks at IBM BTW......

Last I heard the cell processors in the developer kit that Sony put out have
a nasty hardware bug that severely dents the memory read bandwidth.  How
are there going to be proper games for the console launch if the chip isn't
even ready yet in its proper form.

Their proposed launch price precludes this being the dominant player in the
next round of the console wars.

All this from the company that brought us the CD rootkit.  I get the
impression that their only remaining decent division (sony computer
entertainment) has been hijacked by their other corporate interests as some
kind of vehicle for pushing Blu Ray and the content thereon (read: not
games).
--
Stephen Fairchild