Re: [News] Free Flash Player for Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 08:27 \__

http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/20/1855200.shtml?tid=130

>> Flash 9 will be coming to Linux as well.
>
> I like the idea of an open player - this could be reallly useful going
> forward, particularly the integration potential with opengl and so on.
> I'd still like to see some good, open-source, opengl drivers for nvidia,
> but they're not here yet...

What I'd love to see is a GPL manufacturer whose niche is Open Source O/Sen.
Such a manufacturer could release a decent graphics cards that provide code
rather than binary-form drivers. Whether it can compete in terms of
performance is the big question. There is place for re-use. Think, for
example, about Sun's Open Source (and GPL'd) CPU design. Design, however,
unlike code, needs some machinery. It cannot be duplicated like software,

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Tasks: 180 total,   4 running, 159 sleeping,   0 stopped,  17 zombie