Re: [News] Free Flash Player for Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 10:25 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 08:27 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/06/20/1855200.shtml?tid=130

>>> I like the idea of an open player - this could be reallly useful going
>>> forward, particularly the integration potential with opengl and so on.
>>> I'd still like to see some good, open-source, opengl drivers for nvidia,
>>> but they're not here yet...
>>
>> What I'd love to see is a GPL manufacturer whose niche is Open Source
>> O/Sen. Such a manufacturer could release a decent graphics cards that
>> provide code rather than binary-form drivers. Whether it can compete in
>> terms of performance is the big question. There is place for re-use.
>> Think, for example, about Sun's Open Source (and GPL'd) CPU design.
>> Design, however, unlike code, needs some machinery. It cannot be
>> duplicated like software,
>>

> It's the manufacturing costs which are the problem.  Production runs of
> millions are needed to get such costs down.  Nvidia are probably
> terrified that someone will choose to do this, as it would take the OSS
> world by storm.  Having said that, I guess they could just open their
> driver.

Maybe we can use the vaporware tactics of Microsoft, IBM, and SAP to have
Nvidia deliver the source as a result. Somehow, I doubt it'll be that easy.
(I am sarcastic here) When you come to think about it, almost any Open
Source initiative is causing the proprietary world to follow suit. Examples:

-Web search is free
-Third-party E-mail offers gigabytes of storage space
-Office adopts XML, as useless as that XML schema (no implementation) may be
-Sun embraces Open Source (Java, GPL'd processor design, etc.)
-Oracle, IBM, Unisys and others use GNU/Linux
-Alternative Xara Extreme released as a GPL fork/derivative
-Netscape throws code at the community
-Companies convert to Open Source development models or deliver free code
while relying on support-based income
-...

You name it. There are plenty more, but I just don't wish to pause and
wonder...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Tasks: 193 total,   2 running, 173 sleeping,   0 stopped,  18 zombie