Re: Java to be Open-Sourced Within Months

begin  oe_protect.scr
Da'Punk-A <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Sun says open-source Java possible in 'months'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A Sun Microsystems Inc. executive said Tuesday said the company is "months"
>> | away from releasing its trademark Java programming language under an
>> | open-source license.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79685_HNsunopensourcejava_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79685_HNsunopensourcejava_1.html
>
> Sun really do seem to be doing the "right thing", and are putting their
> money where their mouth is.  I remember the release of Open Solaris,
> and someone there said at the time that  future changes in the Solaris
> code base would emanate from the open side of it.  So yes, they're
> reaping what they can from the willingness of hackers to contribute to
> an open project.  But they're giving as well as taking (a lot more than
> those thieves at Apple).  And now Java too.  There are already open
> source Java-esque things going on, but this is going to be a rocket to
> the whole endeavour.
>
> I'll bet this gave Bill Gates heart burn.  He never liked Java anyway -
> a platform-independant thing like that is anethema to someone like him.
>  But /this/ - it's "anarchy", it's another step toward the hell that is
> computing without the Microsoft brand.  I'd feel sorry for the toad if
> he wasn't such a cripple-kicker.

A very good posting, as was the longer one on the EU position on
competition.  I agree that Sun took a significant risk, but that it's
likely to pay off.

Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.