Re: [News] Linux Reigns Three Quarters of Top Supercomputers

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 14:15 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Linux continues to rule supercomputers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Linux has once again dominated the list of the most powerful
>>| supercomputers in the world. The 27th issue of the bi-annual Top500
>>| list, released today, shows Linux accounting for 73.4% of the top
>>| 500 supercomputers, including the two fastest machines on the
>>| planet.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1045
>
> Hmm, 73% share.  In one of the few things which really can be measured.

As you narrow the range from which you sample, you should expect things to
remain rather stable, but the lower you go (as low as 500 in this case), the
lower the error bars (standard deviation, or uncertainty) will get and the
more statistically-meaningful figures you will get. It does, of course, rely
on the assumption that you will not descend too low and reach the range of
personal computers, or even various servers where UNIX has good presence.

My memory tells me that among the top 20, Linux has a share over 90% (or
maybe it occupied 9 out of the top 10?). This means that the higher on the
scale you go, the more prevalent Linux becomes. Other OS'en are just too
confined and they reside at the bottom of the barrel.

Windows: when your computer is destined to become the least powerful.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
  2:20pm  up 61 days 19:23,  12 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.15, 1.15