Re: [News] Was the Promise of WinFS Just FUD?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 13:58 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> That's just one take on the issue...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Every comment (bar one) got the point. WinFS is dead. Its carcass is
>>| being split between SQL Server and ADO.NET, and the relational
>>| filesystem that was going to change the way we use computers is no
>>| longer just postponed to be shipped after Vista, it's gone.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| The other irony is that in this chapter, Cringely describes how these
>>| tactics, while disrupting their competitors, ended up losing IBM
>>| various segments of the PC market, losing them the respect and trust of
>>| their customers. Which sort of takes this blog-post full-circle: in the
>>| absence of an honest voice admitting fault, you're left with the
>>| immortal words of John Lydon: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
>> `----
>>
>>         http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2006/06/25/we_come_to_bury_winfs
>
> This particular bit is quite interesting:
>
> Microsoft, on the other hand, are the massive incumbent with a
> reputation (deserved or otherwise) for producing reasonably good
> copies of the innovations of others. In chapter 14 of Accidental
> Empires, Robert X. Cringely describes five techniques a large
> incumbent can use to control the market:
>
> 1. Announce a direction, not a product (people will put off
> buying competing products because you've just told them they're
> the old way of doing things).
>
> 2. Announce a real product, but do so long before you actually
> expect to deliver, disrupting the market for competing products
> that are already shipping.
>
> 3. Don't announce a product, but do leak a few strategic hints,
> even if they aren't true.
>
> 4. Don't support anybody else's standards; make your own.
>
> 5. Announce a product, then say you don't really mean it.
>
> As noted in the blog entry, the original description was of IBM, but
> it's very interesting to note just how much MS learnt from IBM in this
> area (basically, everything).

They say that when Bill Gates began everything (jointly with Allen), he was
determined to beat the IBM monopoly. In turn, he became _just like them_.
It's like kids who said they would never be like my parents, but after a few
decades they become [pause /] _their parents_! This reminds me of the
following statement, which was made by RMS:

"Mr. Gates' secret is out now?he too was a "communist;" he, too, recognized
that software patents were harmful?until Microsoft became one of these
giants..."

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
  2:10pm  up 60 days 19:13,  11 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.56, 0.67