Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:29:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I won't link to MSDN, so here is the blurb (or gist):
>>
>> WinFS is Dead
>
> Yep.  Here's the chance for all you "I told you so" types to sit around
> and cackle with glee while rubbing your hands together in anticipation of
> how much milage you get from this.
>
> The simple fact is, after years of development, The WinFS team just
> couldn't create a workable product.  It's not like we haven't seen this
> before from others, such as the Taligent system between IBM and Apple.
>
> It looks like they're canibalizing it for the technologies they've created
> and rolling them into other parts of the OS.
>
> The thing is, I don't really see this as a huge issue anyways.  Oh, it's
> certainly a bellwether mark, but frankly it's become clear WinFS was a
> solution in search of a problem.
>
> Other search technologies have proven to be effective, without the huge
> overhead that WinFS was likely to require.  You don't get the nice
> queryability of what WinFS was promising, but Apple and others seem to be
> getting by without this pretty well.  Vista will contain search indexing
> services similar to Spotlight and Beagle, but it will not have WinFS.
>
> So, by all means, let the "I told you so's" begin.

Hey Eric,

For someone who claims to have nothing to do with Microsoft, you seem to
spend a lot of time in COLA acting like the official mouthpiece for
Microsoft.

The facts are simple; Microsoft has once again proven that their 'big ball
of code' design is flawed as it eventually makes it impossible to do
further development. Of course, there are lots of companies that have the
same problems. These are generally companies that had software designers
and programmers that learnt programming from Microsoft.

One day, Microsoft is going to have to rewrite Windows or a replacement
there to, which consists of small WELL DEFINED modules. The OS will need to
be properly layered and application software MUST be banned from the lower
layers. Of course, marketing and FUD are cheaper, so it probably won't
happen for a long time.

If you're not part of Microsoft, why stand up for them all the time. If
Microsoft never learns to learn from failure, they will just keep making
the same mistakes, as they do over and over and over and over and over...

Ian