Re: [News] Windows Zombies Lead to SMS SPAM As Well

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Saturday 24 June 2006 23:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Zombie builders send out phone texts
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Hackers are trying to lure people to a malicious Web site using cell
>> | phone text messages, a security company has warned.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | The Dumador Trojan allows hackers to use HTTP to control the bots and
>> | trigger them to upload information. Typically, the most popular method
>> | of bot control is through Internet Relay Chat (IRC).
>> `----
>>
> http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6087523.html?part=rss&tag=6087523&subj=news
>
> I find that Windows MSN Messenger seems to have its share of security
> leaks,
> even with latest XP fixes installed.  I have noticed some illegitimate
> pop-ups wanting me to download a patch, which I kill.  I am not an MSN
> Messenger user, but those popups seem prevalent after my daughter's use.

It doesn't have to be associated with the instant messenger (unless something
gets executed... perhaps a WMF renderer *wink*), but I have come across such
flaws. Even idle Windows can catch an infection, so login alone can be
detrimental. Why do you think the MSCE's tell everyone to switch off and
disconnect the PC while not in use? This, among other factors, was the
reason I purged my last Windows partition, ever. I suspect it got /itself/
infected too, but I neve bothered to scan.

> My daughter is a heavy user of chat with friends on Messenger.  Linux
> Kopete
> has a protocol to connect with MSN.  When I get an opportunity, will want
> to try that function whilst in SuSE 10.1.
>
> Meanwhile, is there a more secure open source Windows XP alternative that
> works successfully in connecting to MSN Messenger server?

How about Google Talk? It does Jabber (Google, Yahoo, MSN, et cetera)...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Tasks: 203 total,   1 running, 190 sleeping,   0 stopped,  12 zombie