Re: [News] Merrill Lynch: Microsoft Should Acquire Yahoo

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Friday 23 June 2006 18:28 \__

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/23/microsoft-yahoo-0623markets04.html?partner=yahootix

> I can't help thinking about the following recent story.
>
> Yahoo rejects Microsoft search offer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Yahoo CEO Terry Semel has revealed he recently rebuffed Microsoft's
> | attempt to bag a stake in the company.
> |
> | Although the Yahoo boss didn't confirm what form the speculated
> | overtures took, he slapped down the idea Yahoo would be willing to
> | let Microsoft take a stake in the company.
> |
> | According to a report in the Financial Times, Semel said: "Microsoft
> | taking over Yahoo--that conversation has never come up."
> |
> | He added: "(We discussed) search, and Microsoft co-owning some of our
> | search. I will not sell a piece of search--it is like selling your
> | right arm while keeping your left; it does not make any sense."
> `----

http://news.com.com/2061-10811_3-6071556.html?part=rss&tag=6071556&subj=news

I also found:

,----[ Quote ]
| The fight is on between the three internet search titans, after Yahoo's
| Terry Semel laid down the gauntlet to Microsoft saying the software
| giant's recently elevated ambitions in the search arena were a lost cause.
|
| "My impartial advice to Microsoft is that you have no chance. The
| search business has been formed," he said in an interview with the
| New Yorker's Ken Auletta."
|
| [...]
|
| "That crashing sound you hear, is a chair being thrown across an
| office in Redmond," said another (blogger).
`----

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/11eadcd4-e1a3-11da-bf4c-0000779e2340.html

And...

Microsoft to buy Yahoo?