Re: NEWS://Begium goes ODF

__/ [ Rick ] on Friday 23 June 2006 18:55 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6087275.html?part=rss&tag=6087275&subj=news

>>> "From September 2008 on, all document exchanges within the services of
>>> the Belgian Government will have to be in an open, standard format,
>>> according to the proposal. ODF is the only accepted standard in the
>>> proposal. Earlier drafts of the Belgian proposal had treated ODF and
>>> Microsoft's own Open XML format (which is to be included in Office 2007)
>>> on equal footing."
>>
>> It's happening faster than imagined, or faster than ODF gets implemented
>> (properly). One nation at a time, openness is like a plague. There are
>> dependencies in comminication, whether it is a language, a format, a
>> realisation of principles or demand/envy from the public. Some other
>> countries in Europe (other than Denmark) have considered similar steps,
>> but have made no official statements, yet. The scandinavian are already
>> opposing to iTunes monopoly and DRM. France likewise.
>>
> There is no iTunes monopoly.

Oops. I don't know how that one slipped. I probably ought to have looked at
that sentence again because I meant to say "lockins". Also "Scandinavians"
(typo).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Tasks: 184 total,   2 running, 173 sleeping,   0 stopped,   9 zombie