Re: Web-based Microsoft Exchange/Outlook Killer

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 22 June 2006 18:32 \__

> It sounds cool.  If it follows the same pattern as Mozilla, we'll see
> MS shift some effort to a long-neglected, buggy, insecure piece of
> software in order to keep up with open source competition.  Maybe the
> engineers assigned to the job will manage more than 100 lines of code
> per year, probably easier to do with Exchange/Outlook than in Vista.

Exchange  servers, with Web-based access and what could,  in
due  time,  become  'Outlook Live', are still in  the  game.
However,  speaking  from experience, they  poorly  integrate
with whatever resists Microsoft and its agenda.

Zimbra,  which I first experienced in its beta phase a  long
time  ago,  is aimed at moving /everything/ to the  Web  (or
intranet),  rather than provide some native interfaces (like
Windows  is  intended to do, even for Hotmail/MSN). I  quite
like  the  Brushed look in Zimbra, though at times it  seems
like  an OS X ripoof, unless Apple nicked/inherited it  from
elsewhere  (I  think GNOME and Enlightenment had it  before,
when I used it in 2001-2003).

http://schestowitz.com/Projects/kmdupdate-2.html

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  6:20pm  up 55 days 23:34,  12 users,  load average: 1.27, 1.09, 1.10