Re: [News] Gartner: Adoption Perils for Microsoft Office 2007

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:03:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Office upgrade hard to justify, warns analyst
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Only companies that are signed up to Microsoft's Software Assuranceplan
>| are likely to adopt Office 2007 in the near future because IT managers
>| find it extremely hard to justify an Office upgrade to their board,
>| according to analyst group Gartner.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6086693.html?part=rss&tag=6086693&subj=news
>
> They way I understand it, a migration to Vista will be perceived as a
> pre-requisite. Vista is XP in a fancy suit (flash is unimportant in the
> office), so a Linux upgrade with move to OpenOffice 2/3 seems like a better
> route. That's excellent news for OSS and GNU/Linux (Novell SUSE Desktop?).

This ignores that there will be other things driving Office 2007 adoption.
For instance, the new Office Sharepoint Server is a monster upgrade over
previous version of sharepoint and sharepoint portal server, and to get the
best avantage out of that you need office 2007 as well to enable things
like updating of content via Word or Infopath forms management.

And before anyone snickers about Word HTML output, that's radically changed
too.  It now outputs relatively clean HTML, and Frontpage has had a huge
makeover as well (now called Sharepoint Designer).

Sharepoint is now a compelling system, especially to those users who were
previous users of Microsoft Content Management Server (which has been
rolled into Sharepoint), Project Server, etc..

There's more new in Office 2007 than all previous versions of office
combined.