Re: Adobe Explains the Exclusion of PDF from MS Office

  • Subject: Re: Adobe Explains the Exclusion of PDF from MS Office
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:05:39 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Sunday
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> Adobe took quite a big blow yesterday:
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060616/ap_on_bi_ge/earns_adob
>>>
>>> Lowered profits due to acquisitions, so stock fell
>>> despite positive response of the DJ and NASDAQ indices.
>>
>> Perhaps the dip in stocks is something in passing?  I
>> admire Adobe for adhering to principles and having
>> honorable substance.
>
> I wish they had sold Photoshop for Linux... not that I
> would use it, but it holds many hostage (Windows or Mac
> OS). Also, their image format could be made more
> standardised. I am not aware, however, of many image
> formats that involve layering. Moreso, these issues arise
> in vector graphics where formats are badly 'glued' between
> applications. Then there's Macromedia Flash (not viewer,
> but editor), Illustrator, etc. Adobe could be more
> platform-neutral, but they aim for market share.

I do not have much experience with Photoshop, but I have used
their Acrobat.  It does a very good job at making compact PDF
files.  Lexmark could learn from them.  I used their software
to make a PDF file from a 22 page scan, it was 78 MB, which I
found hard to believe.  With Acrobat, it would have been
somewhere around 2 MB.

As Linux desktop increases in popularity, it would not
surprise me if they come up with a Linux version.

--
HPT