Re: [News] Linux Gets Things Done More Easily

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Gets Things Done More Easily
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:26:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 14:04 \__

> On 2006-06-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Home built CD changer contraption
>
>  Other media manipulation is easy with Linux, too. They put up the score
> for "Superman Returns" for streaming download yesterday. Of course, they
> don't want you saving it to your disk, and RealPlayer and Windows Media
> Player won't let you do that.
>
>  But with mplayer and the -dumpstream option, you get it saved to your
> disk. Another run of mplayer with the -ao pcm option gets you a .wav
> file. Then gramofile on the .wav file, and it's automatically split into
> tracks. Then you can burn a CD or generate mp3s or whatever.
>
>  Listening to it right now. Instrumental music is good for coding.

To be fair, other platforms have video and audio capturing utilities as well.
The last time I checked (Windows, 3 years ago at work), nothing apparent was
free and it had be a third-party application. Compare that with import,
mencoder and wget, which are great tools that are often pre-installed. There
are GUI's available as well.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz    The Holy Bible: http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html
  2:20pm  up 54 days 19:34,  12 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.11, 0.25