Re: [News] Antivirus Is Dying

On 2006-06-21, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

 ------------8<-------------

 ----------8<---------

> I am left with a bad taste when I hear about Symantec. Some customers who
> sought my help had lost network functionality and were absolutely clueless
> for weeks. Symantec's software was the culprit. Norton too. This O/S bloat
> and layers of protection make it fragile, and prone to confuse users )apart
> from ripping them off).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Norton was (is?) very poor software. Their firewall was incompatible
with some software suites, including Mcaffee antivirus (old news, could
have been corrected), and such sweets as OS data corruption could be
eagerly anticipated from unfortunate software combinations.

I honestly feel sad for people still using Windows. I have always said
that people should use what they are comfortable with and works for them.
I have also maintained that Linux dosen't have to be high profile or
popular with the masses. Just available to all who want it. I maintain these
opinions. But I can't help but feel privileged to be using such a worry free
and secure system as Linux. It just is such a great feeling to go anywhere on
the net, leave my system up and connected to DSL 24/7, Etc. and basically do
any activity free of the software version of a condom. It's also kind of
fun to visualize all the frustrated malicious code hitting my computer and
getting a bloody nose.

Regards,

Mathew

"Always do the right thing: It will delight /  Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain    / Psychotronic protection, low prices