Re: Novell reports

  • Subject: Re: Novell reports
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:58:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 13:00 \__

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1933822,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "During the quarter, Novell recognized total Open Platform Solutions
>> | revenue of $56 million, which was up from $14 million in the year ago
>> | period."
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "NetWare-related revenue, to no one's surprise, continued its fall. This
>> | quarter it had declined 11 percent from the year-ago period."
>> `----
>>
>> So, as one would expect, it's Microsoft's elbow that is responsible for
>> the decline. Linux and Open Source solutions grow very rapidly.
>
> -> Notice the title of the article.
>
> "Better Linux Sales Aren't Enough to Halt Novell's Slide"
>

> I'm well aware that Open platform solutions grew very nicely at Novell.
> But how exactly is it that "Microsofts Elbow" that is responsible for
> the decline? It's cold and windy here in Boston (but I'm going skiing
> in 30 minutes anyway)... is this also Microsofts elbow that's somehow
> responsible?

It has been snowing in Manchester as well, but let's stay on topic. When I
said  "Microsoft's elbow" I was very specifically referring to NetWare so-
lutions,  as  well as other solutions that reside on Windows (e.g.  Group-
wise: http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/ ).

I  will  remind  you that when Novell sacked many employees  a  couple  of
months  ago, managers yelled that SuSE-affiliated staff was unaffected.  I
believe  that  Novell keep an eye on their Windows-bound market, but  rely
primarily  on  the  prospects of Novell Linux, SLES, SuSE,  and  OpenSuSE,
which accumulate thrust like an avalanche. Be careful skiing. *smile*

> Novell is primariy a Netware company. This still holds true today. Is
> it Microsofts fault that customers are migrating *away* from Netware?
> Talk about a terrible OS... Netware was crap years ago. You could just
> as easily blame Linux for falling Netware sales. What if customers are
> replacing Netware servers with Linux servers.

I  agree  that NetWare is terrible, based on personal experience  and  woe
among  staff  and  students. However, I can't see how this  addresses  the
point. I couldn't care less about NetWare, which continues to be used here
at  present.  My  only interest in NetWare is the amount of money  it  can
pocket  in Novell's safe. Novell are pushing Linux forward with  technolo-
gies  like XGL, which have already percolated to other vendors and distri-
butions.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
  1:45pm  up 3 days  9:23,  12 users,  load average: 1.27, 0.63, 0.59