Re: Linux desktop - The chicken and the egg

  • Subject: Re: Linux desktop - The chicken and the egg
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 4 Mar 2006 05:53:45 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 13:20 \__
>
> > "You have to realize that companies like Dell, HP, eMachines, etc., are
> > about fulfilling demand, not trying to create it. If you're Dell, and
> > you do 100 percent of your desktop business with Windows and are
> > already in the No. 1 slot, there's not a lot of incentive to invest in
> > creating, marketing, promoting and supporting a new operating system on
> > their computers. They will only do this once the demand is there,"
> > Carmony said.
> >
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1897398,00.asp
> >

> > This article is actually better than the first one....
> >
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1895846,00.asp
> >
> > "Some day, somewhere, some company will have to have the guts to face
> > down Microsoft and make it possible for anyone to easily buy a Linux
> > desktop."
>

> This are not recent articles. Have you dug them using Google?

I didn't even pay attention to the dates. They're not that old... only
a few months. I think I saw them when I was reading a link to an
article you gave. They appeared on the side-bar or a link on the
side-bar eventually got me to them.

> These items are
> interesting nonetheless. Here's something 'fresh' about the Government crash
> testing Open Source, probably in preparation for adoption.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/03/open_source_safety_report/
>   ( Homeland Security report tracks down rogue open source code )
>
> Some time ago (~month), plenty of money was invested in bug tracking. The
> intention was to 'cleanse' Open Source solutions by filing bug reports, if
> any bugs are found. The controversy was over the lack of investment in
> patching, but let's stay on topic.
>
> Again, this is probably the step which precede the adoption. The Governments
> seek confidence through tests by authorised professionals, as though they
> need an approval, legally. It's a case of taming the puppy, making it a
> grown-up dog.

Puppy training.... sounds like you've owned a dog. We've had a few
ourselves. The toughest part is when they're teething and chew
absolutely everything. Our last one practically ate all of our
baseboards.