Re: Open Source Sold Out?

__/ [ Rick ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 16:22 \__

> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:58:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Open Season On Open Source
>>
>> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_11/b3975100.htm
>>
>>  ,----[ Quote ]
>> |  "Linux has spread to more than 25% of the world's servers and has
>> |  become a legitimate rival to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows. The open-source
>> |  approach is compelling enough that IBM and Sun Microsystems Inc. have
>> |  become major supporters, utterly changing how they market software.
>> |  There's even talk of taking the open-source method into semiconductors
>> |  and tech hardware."
>> `----
>>
>> Interesting take on OOS buyouts as well, with Oracle under the magnifying
>> glass...
>
> Hopefully the GPL (especially) and BSD licenses will keep that OSS from
> dying.

I'm fairly sure someone will fork it in the spirit of continuing to serve
this code as FOSS that evolves. There are usually owners (lead developers
and co.), as well as volunteers. As it's usually the leaders who get the
monetary reward (bribe?), the remainder become bitter and take the code into
their own hands (or so I would assume).

There is then a virtual race between the commercial-bred version and that
which remained independent. I guess that Debian and SLES are good for this
angle.