Re: IBM: Linux Savings Real

__/ [ Richard G. Riley ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 18:45 \__

>  "Roy"posted the following on 2006-03-05:
>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3593300a28,00.html
>>
>> IBM Linux head says savings real
>>
>> "The New Zealand government could save millions of dollars a year using
>> open source software, says IBM's global head of public sector Linux
>> sales."
>
> Brave of you to post that:
>
> "Open source software is also now a viable alternative on the desktop,
> she says, recommending governments use both Linux and "proprietary"
> software together on their PCs.
> She estimates less than 2 per cent of organisations can currently
> benefit from a "complete stack" approach, whereby they fully migrate
> to open source applications. "

The key word is "/currently/". You can't just migrate everything overnight.
People's skills need to adapt and software evolved in accordance to market
demand.

Ask Munich where a successful staged migration is in progress and they will
tell you. One of the worst mistakes I see people do is wipe Windows
impulsively and hope that Linux will cushion a fall, without /any/ prior
Linux experience. They want too much too quickly and ultimately they get
disappointed and vow never to try that again.The dual-boot approach is that
which works. No impulse. Rationale.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
  4:35am  up 5 days  0:13,  12 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.61, 0.54