Re: Michael Dell Speaks About Linux

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:21:51 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Brad ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 12:18 \__

>>> Putting it another way, Microsoft do not need to.  It just would put its
>>> money where its mouth would be and reduce the payola to Dell for saying
>>> "Dell recommends XP Professional".
>>
>>    So whats wrong with Dell saying that "Dell recommends XP Professional",
>> but also offers Linux (of whatever flavor) as an alternative. This is more
>> to the point of what Linux on a desktop is all about. Choices,
>> alternatives and options. Granted it may not be as bold a statement that
>> IBM has supposedly made, but for ANY hardware mfg to offer Linux as an
>> alternative isn't a good thing, It's a GREAT thing. They are giving their
>> customers MORE options, more choices and alternatives. To this I say GO
>> DELL!
>>
>> Brad
>
> Say so very cautiously. Dell have done some controversial things in the past.

Agreed, time will tell if M.Dell is blowing smoke or starting to get
serious about offering Linux pre-installed on Dell systems and actively
marketing those systems and offering support for them. For him to state
that it isn't "Any of Microsofts business" is a pretty bold statement
though.

> Seniors who perceive Dell and IBM as winners in computing can finally
> absorb the positive Linux sentiments from both.

True also.

Brad