Re: Michael Dell Speaks About Linux

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 16:03 \__

> ray wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 04:25:12 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html
>> >
>> > ,----[ Snippets ]

>> > `----
>>
>> IMHO - they would not even have to sell systems with Linux preinstalled
>> (though it would not be that big a chore to offer a choice of half a dozen
>> distros) they could merely offer systems without OS installed that has
>> been certified to be hardware compatible with 6 or 8 or ten named
>> distributions. They would not even have to do any work on this - there are
>> hundreds of Linux geeks around the county who'd be happy to check systems
>> out for them.
>

> The majority of consumers want/need some OS preinstalled on their
> system. Installing an OS may be easy for someone with minimal
> techinical ability but it's still beyond the (perceived) ability of
> most people.  For anyone who wants a computer with no OS, they can
> simply buy one with Ubuntu/Suse/Mandriva/<distro> and install whatever
> they want on it. It really takes no extra time to install a distro over
> an existing one than it does to start with an empty drive.
>
> But for the rest of the people (most people) at least they would get a
> system with some OS that is usable to them.

I  agree with Larry on that one, albeit with caution and hesitance.  Being
told that Distribution X was tested for compatibility is not always suffi-
cient.  Y  years down the line, will version Z of Distribution X be  easi-
ly-obtainable? Would the customer truly have the skill and patience to in-
stall the distribution? Any inclination at all when you work as a mechanic
at daytime?

What  if  the customer has never come across the term "partition" or  even
"drive"  (laugh all you want) before? Will the CD's of the named distribu-
tion  be bound to the computer's package? Is there any guarantee that  the
CD's will work one year later? Are they checksummed?

Many  questions can be raised. I believe that a product that works 'out of
the  box' (with all the necessary added software) makes a marvellous sell-
ing point. Think about it: Linux that does not require that you understand
Linux. Dissatisfied with the distribution? Go to the Web, read others' ex-
perience  with  that same model (or receive a list from the vendor),  then
select your poison (distro).

There  is  nothing more satisfying than a product that works with  minimal
effort.  Example: I bought a 300GB external hard-drive this morning and it
worked  as soon as I had plugged in onto the USB port? Should I have  re--
partitioned  it?  Should I have changed the filesystem to  something  that
suits  me  better? I think not. I am just happy to have got a  new  backup
unit within 20 seconds.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
  4:25pm  up   9:02,  7 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.55, 0.34