Re: Google Click Fraud Settlement

__/ [ canadafred ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 03:38 \__

>> __/ [ John A. ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 03:01 \__
>>
>>> AP story about how they've agreed to pay up to $90M to settle.
>>> http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GOOGLE_CLICK_FRAUD?SITE=RANDOM
>>
>> Could they make that a class action settlement? *bites lip*
>
> That's precisely what was going on in my mind too.
>
> I bet you 99% of customers have paid too much already.
>
> I totally stopped using Yahoo/Overture after discovering almost 50% of the
> traffic was visiting less than a quarter of a second on the Entrance pages
> only and were basically untrackable up to the IP address, extremely similar
> to a bot. I could not fathom a reason why someone would read the title and
> description ( other than the odd keyphrase competitor who wants to cost me
> money ) and then click through to hit the back button so quickly. Perhaps I
> am missing something here.
>
> I think Adwords is better but it also is even harder to track what a
> visitor actually looks like. Anyway, it seems to give better ROI when I
> need to use it.

Be sure that people will take the opportunity and use the case above as
precedent. This could become very interesting. I know many frustrated
Webmasters and businessmen that describe AdSense/Word in similar ways, but
the incentive to go with a full-fledged lawsuit was just not there.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:25am  up  21:02,  7 users,  load average: 1.20, 0.91, 0.74