Re: New Live CD with XGL

__/ [ Chris Wilkinson ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 10:34 \__

> Hi there,
>
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2612
>>
>> ,----[ Foreword/Snippet ]
>> | Today we are happy to release a Kororaa Live CD showcasing Xgl
>> | technology. If you would like to find out what it's all about, then
>> | download the CD and boot up your pc! The Live CD comes with Xorg 7,
>> | Gnome 2.12.2, 3D support and of course Xgl ;)
>> `----
>>
>> I think it is the first free distro to boast XGL support 'out of the box'.
>
> Nice...although currently I'm only getting 800 bytes/sec on the
> download from ftp, with the torrent being worse! D'oh! :-(

It's also possible to have it installed if you are using Ubuntu Dapper. It's
an apt-get belt-and-braces exercise (or Synaptic if you are UI-inclined).
Needs slight editing of XOrg files subsequently.

I hear it can be quite slow at time, /not/ "as seen in the demo". Wobbling
menus in particular can make it impractical for regular use. When enabling
fade-in and fade-out transparencies in KDE, I can describe that as
uimpractical as well. Look modern though.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  1:35pm  up 1 day  6:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.64, 0.42