Re: How do they do it? (details of site in google)

__/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Friday 10 March 2006 05:57 \__

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:28:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Ignoramus27983 ] on Friday 10 March 2006 03:48 \__
>>
>>> I typed "slackware" in google search box. In the results, there were
>>> many extra entries for slackware.org site, like this:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> how do they do it? I would like to do the same -- to have a few extra
>>> things next to my domain in google searches.
>>
>> Try 'debian'. I suspect that Google are hand-tweaking these (they use
>> Debian/Ubuntu in-house). They assume that the surfer wishes to download
>> the distribution or get some information about it, so the facet changes.
>>
>> I would assume these are exceptions since, much like you, I have never
>> come across that before. Think of it as a 'special case', as in searches
>> for stock symbols which bring up charts, quotes,and zeitgeist.
>
> Interestingly, I had previously seen it here:
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=nyc+photos&meta=

Blimey. A girl's tush. Never thought Google's perceived NYC in this way, but
I won't complain.

> Notice that it's Canadian Google Search. I'd come across something like
> also for another subject though I just can't remember what it was.
> Also I tried to replicate the same results on different datacenter but got
> tired after 15 or so. :-)

You can automatire some cross-datacentre checks using the following tool
(which you probably know about already):

http://www.mcdar.net/Q-Check/datatool.asp

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
  6:20am  up 1 day 22:57,  7 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.56, 0.57