Re: Intel to Start an Open Source Incubator

__/ [ Lobo ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 06:41 \__

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSDL

,----[ Introducation ]
| Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) was founded in 2000 and has investment
| backing from Computer Associates, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Ltd., HP, IBM, Intel,
| NEC and others
`----

This does not go many years into the distant past. As regards "companies like
Dell":

Michael Dell earlier this month: "Microsoft has not talked to us about Linux.
If they did, I wouldn't care. It's none of their business,"

> After seeing what Microsoft is offering with Vista, I sense that 2007 will
> be the year of the Penguin.

2005 was said to be a year of Open Source with Firefox in the headlines. 2006
may be the year of mass OpenOffice adoption. The momentum of Linux is
proportional to the growth of such Open Source projects, in my humble
opinion.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
  6:40am  up 3 days 23:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.72, 0.67