Re: Intel to Start an Open Source Incubator

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:45:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Lobo ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 06:41 \__
>
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 04:12:17 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20060313/market05.shtml
>>>
>>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>>> | What is the status of Linux at Intel? |
>>> | For Intel, Linux is an important area. We are encouraging Linux on |
>>> | the development front. In India, we are aggressively working towards |
>>> | strengthening our presence in the Linux market. `---- |
>>
>> I notice the big players are starting to line up behind open source now.
>> The market in underdeveloped countries is immense and they know it.
>> Companies like Dell, who wait on the sidelines until they feel it is a
>> sure thing, will end up missing out in a big way. The same goes for
>> hardware manufacturers.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSDL
>
> ,----[ Introducation ]
> | Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) was founded in 2000 and has investment
> | backing from Computer Associates, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Ltd., HP, IBM, Intel,
> | NEC and others

Many of them are *now* putting 7 figure dollar amounts towards Linux.

> This does not go many years into the distant past. As regards "companies like
> Dell":
>
> Michael Dell earlier this month: "Microsoft has not talked to us about Linux.
> If they did, I wouldn't care. It's none of their business,"

I still don't see them aggressively going after the Linux market. They may
not have a large offshore market that would warrant it though. But, I
think they would do wise to hookup with the Ubuntu or Linspire folks in
the near future.

>> After seeing what Microsoft is offering with Vista, I sense that 2007
>> will be the year of the Penguin.
>

> 2005 was said to be a year of Open Source with Firefox in the headlines.

Two of the people I've helped out with their win boxes have, *on their
own*, installed Firefox. They heard about it from other friends. They are
about as far from computer "geeks" one could get. Just everyday folks
doing surfing and email. Word is spreading.

> 2006 may be the year of mass OpenOffice adoption. The momentum of Linux
> is proportional to the growth of such Open Source projects, in my humble
> opinion.

A quick check of Google shows 222,000,000 hits for Linux and 288,000,000
hits for windows. Linux is becoming more and more noticeable in non-geek
and even non-computer sites.