Re: Microsoft Doubt .NET

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:52 \__

http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_Vista%3A_Microsoft_loses_confidence_in_.NET

>> ,----[ Full Quote ]
>>|
>>| Microsoft appears to have concentrated their development effort in
>>| Vista on native code development. In contrast to PDC03LH, Vista has
>>| no services implemented in .NET and Windows Explorer does not host
>>| the runtime, which means that the Vista desktop shell is not based
>>| on the .NET runtime.
>> `----
>
> Yet more functionality removed from XP SP3^H^H^H^H^H^HVista.

I don't think anything was ever removed, but promised features (notably WinFS
/et al/) were never implemented or implemented poorly (Monad /et al/).
Honestly, I believe there are merely three explanations:

-The managerial structure s rotten
-The programmers lack motivation or inspiration
-The 'beast' is too hard to extend without breaking

A combination of the above is a possibility too.