Re: MSN Serps

  • Subject: Re: MSN Serps
  • From: Will <not.me@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:46:37 -0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
In article <dv9mnn$2f7g$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> __/ [ Paul B ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:03 \__
>
> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:50:31 -0000, Will <not.me@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>One of my newish websites has started getting some traffic - not
> >>a lot I must say - and checking the logs I see it all coming from
> >>search.msn.co.uk which I was surprised at, as it is so new.
> >>
> >>The site is www.wooden-windows-and-doors .co.uk (space
> >>deliberately introduced to kepp me out of trouble), the search terms
> >>vary, but it is top ten for "wooden windows", "wooden doors" "wooden
> >>windows doors" plus some others.
> >>
> >>The home page is a little sparse, which makes me more surprised
> >>that it is doing so well, though it does have a good link thanks to
> >>another some-time poster of this group.
> >>
> >>Is this likely to be short lived exposure, then back into the
> >>depths? It's been in a similar position for a couple of days now...
> >
> > Hi Will
> > I removed the spaces and I get "cannot find server" error.
> >
> > Whois does bring you up as the owner, but also states "Website Status:
> > not active "
> >
> > Sorry Will, until I can see the site, I cannot help.
> > plh
> > Paul
>
> Paul, this seems to be a brand new site. Netcraft labels it "New Site",
> meaning that it was never seen before by a Netcraft-loaded browser (maybe it
> moved from one host to another). The reason you cannot see the Web site
> would be a unalignment in DNS servers. It should work soon, maybe
> sporadically at first.
>
> Will, the site should be able to retain its position unless MSN has some
> mechanism for promoting new sites temporarily, thereby giving them a chance
> to stick. I don't know MSN well enough to give you an answer though.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

	Thanks for that Roy, and to Paul also - though I never see his
posts as of the last four weeks or so, I've never killfiled him, his
posts just never get through to Wanadoo, somehow - I find that Nominet
are a bit slow at updating their records sometimes, that site was
registered exactly one month ago, and has been accessible ever since...
I have another domain that I moved and renewed two weeks ago, it is
still showing as "in progress" or some such.

	I am still surprised that the windows and doors site does so well
for a new site, for a serp that is quite well populated with
established sites.

--
Regards,

Will.