Re: Linux on Intel Macs

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 15:36 \__

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/84804/researcher-boots-linux-from-intel-mac.html

>> > Seems like a strange project. If someone buys an Intel based Mac they
>> > most likely paid a premium for that machine in order to run OSX on it.
>> > If they planed on converting it to a Linux box they would have bought a
>> > generic PC instead.
>>
>> It's a vanity thing slash challenge in my humble opinion. Also a
>> proof-of-concept project. Let the engineers have their fun and prove Linux
>> to be so customisable that it can even fit gardware which is tailored for
>> a particular O/S from a single vendor.
>

> I guess that it's also useful for people who want to either boot a
> live-CD or dual-boot to play around with Linux. So there is some value
> in that as well.

Good point. However, many Open Source programs like the GIMP are avilable for
Jaguar/Tiger as well. SSH is one merit I can think of. In general, anything
that involves X and would require some fiddling with Mac OS X to achieve a
cross-over. Either way, choice is power.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
  5:35pm  up 8 days 10:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.85, 0.55