Re: Linux and Windows.

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Gordon ] on Friday 17 March 2006 13:41 \__

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 05:37:32 -0800, bobby wrote:

All this is new to me.  I need to know if I can install Linux on a
Windows XP machine.  If so where may I get more information on this
process.  Thanks.

To be a wee bit pedantic, there is no such thing as a "Windows XP machine". There is a *machine* and an operating system can be installed on it. So surely you can install Linux on it. You should choose a Linux disribution depending on the capacity of the machine.

Dual boot video tutorial here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6104490811311898236&q

It refers to Ubuntu, but the principles are the same for any distro......

That's a nice video. If the OP was referring to dual-boot, this would be a good path to take. If the OP wanted to runs Linux on top of Windows ("install Linux on a Windows XP machine" was the phrasing), I recommend the following, whose hit-and-run author (Dennis Daniels) once posted to this newsgroup:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=linux+tutorial

These are screencasts.

Hope it helps,

Roy

try (google for this, it /is/ available) Knoppix 3.6b QEMU DVD Edition.
This distribution not only runs in a window, you can also standalone boot it and even install it to hard disk if you like it that much or you want to seriously customise it!