Re: KUbuntu Issue

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Friday 17 March 2006 16:52 \__

> FWIW, if only because some dunderhead has suggested we Linux fans never
> say anything bad about Linux (yeah, right, here's a quarter, go buy a
> clue), here's an issue.
>
> Got KUbuntu (flight 4 + something like 232 updates) installed.  Life's
> good, mostly, except for one thing: kwin (the KDE window manager) persists
> in sucking up something between 80 and 95% of the CPU.
>
> Themes?  Styles?  Can't cope with gtk apps?  Who knows at this point; it
> is, however, annoying.

Do  some  profile. Run top or hit CTRL+ESC (sort by CPU). Can you  confirm
that  only kwin (or kdesktop+X) consume *that* many CPU cycles on a parma-
nent basis? If so, a rotten process must be running, which 'poisons' them.
Kwin  is  merely used as an underlying service here. I used to  have  some
similar issues with kpager, I suspect as it is very CPU-hungry. Close con-
stituent  components in the desktop and have a system monitor running.  It
will be able to indicate what causes the problem.