Re: External usb 2 hard drives cases

  • Subject: Re: External usb 2 hard drives cases
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 04:43:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ Michael Goerz ] on Friday 17 March 2006 14:00 \__

> Wad wrote:
>>
>> I have a 2.5" 40GB hard drive I want to put into and external portable
>> usb 2 hardbox. All the cases I've looked at say they support windows
>> and osx but none say linux. Has anyone here experienced any
>> difficulties using one of thes cases?
>
> I think you should be pretty safe. If it works on Windows, you should
> not have a problem using it on Linux. USB is independent of the
> operating system.
>
> I'm running a usb harddrive enclosure without any problems on Linux (a
> 3.5'' one, but that shouldn't make any difference)
>
> Michael Goerz

I'd second that. Mac and Windows are simply brand names, which is why they
get mentioned along the compatibility list while Linux is perceived as
either a rarity or a potential support nightmare. I have an extrenal 0.3TB
drive running just fine. It was said to support Mac OS and Windows, but as
soon as plugged in to SuSE (USB 2), it was automatically mounted.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:40am  up 9 days 21:17,  9 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.41, 0.41