Re: [Article] Google Charm makes its debut

  • Subject: Re: [Article] Google Charm makes its debut
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:19:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Paul B ] on Saturday 18 March 2006 11:34 \__

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 05:39:37 GMT, Who Turned Off The Lights?
> <Lights@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:50:37 -0600, Paul B wrote:
>>
>>> From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4816848.stm
>>>
>>> Google has just unveiled a new product. Called Google Charm, it was
>>> revealed to eight journalists at an unprecedented lunch in New York.
>>>
>>> "Fancy lunch with Eric Schmidt?
>>>
>>> "Our chief executive will be in our office on Times Square this
>>> Thursday. Come early and we'll show you around."
>>>
>>> Not many journalists could resist an invitation like that.
>>>
>>> Google is notoriously secretive. Briefings and meetings are extremely
>>> rare, so sharing a roast beef sandwich with the boss inside the firm's
>>> east coast headquarters seemed too good to be true.
>>>
>>> < snip />
>>
> Good morning to you :)
>
>>Excellent post Paul.
>
> Thank you.

I agree. It was so good that it could not have been 'snipped. Until now!
*grin*

I came across some article on Google's  inability to keep secrets. I think it
was last night, but I can't remember the source or the context. The media is
rather obsessed with Google, either because plenty of what they do is
exciting (or overhyped rather). I still fail to understand why every media
outlet (even the CNN) was compelled to write an article about these coarse
maps of Mars. NASA have made these available for quite some time, or so I
imagine.

I sometimes wonder if people's disdain towards Microsoft is what makes Google
news item such an 'eye candy'. Google are still perceived as Microsoft's
biggest rival although the main rival is probably IBM (even Gates recently
admitted that).

As part of them FUD campaigns, Microsoft have just invested half a billion
dollars in a program that would obviate the need to have IBM consultants
ever involved. Needless to say, all that will go into consideration will be
Windows, of course.

IBM's loveaffair with UNIX and expections for growth with Linux (from 16
billion last year to 50 billion this year) really scares Microsoft. So IBM,
who used to be the "evil monopoly" before Microsoft got around, could
possibly rise again,a long with Red Hat, Novell /et al/. Need I mention that
IBM in Germany are probably moving workstations to Linux rather than upgrade
to Windows Vista? *grin*

Oops. I think I crossed over the the wrong topic, as well as newsgroup.
*smile* I'll get back to COLA.