Re: Elive CD install

  • Subject: Re: Elive CD install
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:17:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ M ] on Saturday 18 March 2006 23:31 \__

> Kier wrote:
>
>> Had some trouble with my old Dell PC, so I took it off the network, and
>> fiddled around for a while trying to diagnose what was wrong. On a whim, I
>> decdied I might just as well install some of the distros I haven't got
>> into much, because it wouldn't matter much if it croaked, since I'd backed
>> up all the data.
>>
>> After some screwing around with Mandriva's partitioner (best tool for the
>> job, IMO), I gave the Elive CD a try. First, 0.3, but then I downloaded
>> 0.4. This Dell is by no means fast - P3 600 processor, and 256 meg ram,
>> with only a 32 meg Riva TNT video card - but it works very well. The 0.4
>> installation was very simple and straight-forward, and I was soon enjoying
>> the eye-candy offered by E16 and 17, both of which are really cool-looking
>> window managers. On a fast, modern machine they'd look awesome.
>>
>> Nvidia graphics are automatically configured, and synaptic takes care of
>> just about all your computing needs. Elive is basically
>> Enlightenment/Debian, with all the packages you could want. E17 itself is
>> still being developed, but it's very usable as it is, and looks great. I
>> look forward to seeing how it appears in its final form. Just wish it
>> woukd recognise my laptop's wireless card, or onboard lan, as I'd install
>> there in a second.
>>
> Well I never, they have got download mirrors now, things are looking up :-)
> Sounds like it might be worth a test drive at some stage.
>
> Regards,

You might have better luck with Wireless and Ethernet cards if you give SuSE
Linux and Ubuntu a go. Mandriva 2006 seemed to do admirably well with
networking as well. I am not too sure about laptops, but I hear of many
immaculate success stories in the context Ubuntu. Give them a spin. You will
learn in the process and raise awareness of what /else/ is out there.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - I believe that SuSE and Mandriva will be fine with the specs listed
above, but it depends on what the machine will be used for and by whom.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E