Re: never had this trouble with Linux...

__/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 20:58 \__

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 04:45:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>__/ [ Jim ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 03:39 \__
>
>>> ...but it's prompted me to go all out on the switch, because it's
>>> pissing me right off.
>>>
>>> Midway through a VERY LARGE video rendering project Windows Automatic
>>> Update kicked in and downloaded/installed the latest "security" patches.
>>> Then on a five minute countdown, restarted the system. Rendering the job
>>> it was RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF, completely useless and EIGHT HOURS of CPU
>>> time WASTED.
>>>
>>> FUCK MICROSOFT, they just fucking cost ME EIGHT HOURS. That seven
>>> hundred pound AMD64 system is getting Debian 3.1r0 on it as I type this.
>>>
>>> Now, WHO do I SUE for my lost time, and possibly a lost contract?
>
>>To be fair, lost time is not something you can ever reclaim for. I feel
>>your pain as for many years I have spent time maintaining Windows machines,
>>which during 'degragfests', kept me awake. Your life will be easier with
>>Linux. This sure was the case for me. After many years (since 2000), I am
>>yet to see the day when Linux fails me. I am still waiting, and waiting...
>
> A question comes to mind: who the hell would use windows for serious
> computational work?  Did you really try to do usefull work with a windows
> box connected to the internet? You're lucky you didn't get adware porn
> frames inserted into your final copy.

I departed from Windows fully long, long before I knew what "adware" meant. I
see it on some customers' machines though, which makes me giggle deep
inside.

Windows is terrible in many respects. The inability to carry out
computational work is only one among many. With Linux, I sometimes run my
experiments on augmented Linux clusters with Pentium 4's (via SSH). This
puts me in a position of advantage.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
  9:00pm  up 13 days 13:37,  7 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.08, 0.94