Re: Use of characters "é" or "ê"

__/ [ tonnie ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 08:37 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ cordial_camaraderie ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 08:17 \__
>>

>>>Normally these characters are used in other languages i.e French,
>>>german etc
>>>
>>>Does the use of these extended characters increases the site download
>>>time ??
>>>
>>>Should we use this or not....
>>>
>>>Please suggest us !!
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>www.stellar-info.fr
>>

>> If you vary your default charset, then the browser may have to use
>> additional services, which could lead to lag. The lag seems to be
>> significantly long for non-Latin languages such as Chinese or Arabic. For
>> Latin languages, the lag is not significant. Although it's a a no-no from
>> the point-of-view of Web standards, you could use Western (standard
>> English) charset and embed "é" or "ê" as images. Some Web sites handle the
>> yet-loosely-supported Euro symbol in this manner.
>
> And what is wrong with using UTF-8, or iso-8859-15 and refer to the
> characters as é and ê?

Oh, you're right. I can actually see them at the bottom of my 'pocket
reference':

http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Some symbols remain excluded, but here's some fancy stuff you can achieve
with what's at hand: *smile*

http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/mathematics.html

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  8:35am  up 14 days  1:12,  8 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.46, 0.56