Re: The Playstation 3 Runs Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 07:44 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> This helps Sony deter and abolish the competition and, besides, they
>>> needed an O/S for their peripheral hard-drive. They could not (/ought to
>>> have not) used the competitor's product. You will see more and more
>>> vendors and software makers who are(/were) 'Microsoft victims' moving to
>>> GNU/Linux.
>>
>> Sony has to figure out a way to be the "home computer" because otherwise
>> XBox 360 is gonna steal their gaming business by leveraging on the
>> Microsoft PC connections.
>>
>> At best, Linux gives them some parity, but it remains to be seen how far
>> they are going to take it.
>
> As far as rootkit *grin*.
>
> I forgot to mention yet again that Sony chose Open Source over Oracle. This
> was only announced yesterday. Maybe they could join the team of
> Linux-friendly companies, residing among IBM, Novell, and Red Hat (Linux
> exclusively). If they set their shiny foot on the blue pedestal, their
> wealth could really benefit the Open Source community. They could add to the
> yet-neglected dimension and niche which is entertainment (yes, I know of
> Rhapsody by now), yet their loveaffair with DRM boggles the mind.

The DRM problem is a reflection of their broad business interests, which
include some music and film production and distribution.  I'm sure Sony,
like all large organisations, will be having internal debates at least
as fierce as the public ones on these issues, as the consumer
electronics divisions battle with the music publishing and so on.  The
best long-term solution is to come up with an alternative method for
rewarding copyright holders for music & film and so on, but that's
unlikely to happen whilst the existing business models remain in place.

I'm not afraid of death -- I just don't want to be there when it happens.
		-- Woody Allen